CharPad is a free cross-development tool for designing character mode graphics and game maps for the Commodore 64 computer.
General Program Features...
• Design character sets, tile sets and maps.
• Pixel level editing of whole tiles at once (OR do it the old-school way).
• Edit character materials for collision detection purposes.
• Load and save SEUCK (Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit) compatible background files.
• VICE Snapshot Ripper, extract level data from existing games.
• Many useful operations such as scroll, flip, reflect and negative.
• Multiple levels of undo/redo.
Improvements and changes in the latest version...
• Complete redesign/rewrite/overhaul using C++/.NET framework.
• Tile dimensions are now independently variable up to 8x8.
• New GUI format can show all project data on screen at once.
• Full screen map editing.
• Zooming and smoothing of displayed images.
• Bitmap import.
• De-tiling/re-tiling using any desired tile size.
• Improved compression algorithm.
• No more "per tile cell" colouring mode, replaced with "per character".
• New CTM5 project file format.
CharPad 2.0 Beta - 31/07/2015
CharPad 1.8 (Revision 3) - 03/09/2011
CharPad 1.0 - 08/05/2003